December 1st means I finally have permission to drag out all my lovely festive crap and start DECORATING like a mad person. Can you tell I'm excited?
The key to doing this in a really small space is simple: work mostly with what you already have as decor, use fresh foliage that you can dispose of once the season is over, and then throw in only a few special seasonal decorations. I simply don't have the space to store Christmas stuff year round, so you'll see me repurposing a lot of my usual items, just in a more festive way. For example, my favorite J monogram glasses from Anthropologie are always on a shelf in my kitchen, but during this season they take a more prominent role on my bar cart, since the gold feels very Christmas-y. Same with my marble dip bowls and copper bar accessories - these live in various parts of my home and I use them all the time, but when combined with the gold accents and greenery, they give off a whole new vibe.
I like to think of it as 80% rearranging and curating my home. For the other 20%, fresh florals, scents, and one or two extra pieces of decor finish off the new look without crowding your space. I always head straight to Trader Joe's for cheap greenery and blooms. These gorgeous roses are currently scattered all over my home, and were only $6. Same with the massive pine garland that I just layered onto my table. Pinks and whites go best with my existing decor without straying too far from Christmas colors, but definitely pick a color that works with your space.
A special item that only comes out for certain occasions is the handwoven silk table runner that I bought for our wedding. See why I worked pink into my Christmas palette? I justify storing it because of the sentimental value and because it works for almost any holiday!
See? One bouquet literally filled up my entire home. What you can't see in this shot is the winter candle that's burning! Buying one or two new candles for the season is an excellent way to instantly make your home feel seasonal without taking up extra space. I can easily burn through a few during December ;)
Finally, I always have to find a fun quote to letter! These mini chalkboards are always coming in handy for that finishing touch.
What are your tips for decorating small spaces? I'm trying to work out where the heck we can put a little tree - I've got to make it work somehow!